Last Thursday, a St. Louis jury awarded a California woman more than $70 million in her lawsuit alleging that years of using Johnson & Johnson’s baby powder caused her cancer, the latest case raising concerns about the health ramifications of extended talcum powder use. Johnson & Johnson lost a third straight trial after three hours of deliberations.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Deborah Giannecchini, 63, said she had used Johnson & Johnson for feminine hygiene for 45 years before she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2012. The lawsuit accused Johnson & Johnson of “negligent conduct” in making and marketing its baby powder.
In addition to the monetary compensation she received, Giannecchini said she hoped Johnson & Johnson would more clearly present the risks associated with using talcum powder. “I hope that Johnson & Johnson will step up and take responsibility and post a warning on their product that says this is not as safe as you may think it is and think about it before you decide to use this product,” she said.
About 1,700 lawsuits in state and federal courts have been filed against Johnson & Johnson for failing to warn consumers that its baby powder and Shower-to-Shower talc products may cause ovarian cancer. Earlier this year, the company lost $72 million and $55 million in the first two talc claims in St. Louis.
As a partner with D'Arcy Johnson Day, Andrew D'Arcy has been involved in some of the nation’s most high-profile cases and investigations, including a number of mass product/drug defect and environmental toxic tort cases. Additionally, he has been named a “Super Lawyer” by New Jersey Monthly Magazine every year since 2013.