The holidays are a time for fun and celebration with family and friends. That being said, the hectic pace of the holidays can also present increased safety risks. You need to take steps to keep you and your loved ones safe and healthy. Following are some tips to help you have an enjoyable holiday season:
- Shopping – always remember to lock your vehicle and hide valuables to avoid parking lot pilfering. Stay alert to your surroundings and park and walk in well lit areas.
- Porch pirates – with the increase in online shopping, theft of packages from front porches and stoops has increased. Use electronic delivery alerts to make sure your gifts are safely delivered and received.
- Online shopping – be sure to only use a secure website. Make sure you understand how your information will be stored and used. Read your credit card statements to make sure there are no unauthorized charges. Report any discrepancy.
- Travel safety – stay tuned to weather conditions. During this time of year, there are a number of driving risks. Anticipate inclement weather and plan accordingly. If you are traveling out of town during the holidays, inform someone who is trustworthy where you will be and when you will be returning to your home.
- Fire safety – use candles wisely. Never leave a burning candle unattended. Do not put any candles near Christmas trees or other holiday decorations.
- Health safety – it’s flu season so wash hands often to help prevent the spread of germs. Protect you and your family by dressing in layers of light, warm clothing. If you feel stressed, take a break and get plenty of sleep.
- Home safety – when leaving your home for any length of time, lock all your windows and doors. Set indoor and outdoor lights on timers. Never keep gifts or valuable objects in plain view from any window. Close blinds, shutters and drapes.
This festive season should be a time of celebration. Brighten your holidays by making your and your loved ones health and safety a priority.
As a partner with D'Arcy Johnson Day, Andrew D'Arcy has been involved in some of the nation’s most high-profile cases and investigations. His practice includes serious automobile accidents, medical malpractice, wrongful death and product defect cases. Andrew has been personally responsible for numerous multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts on behalf of his clients. He has been recognized by his peers as an "AV" rated attorney, the highest possible rating given by Martindale-Hubbell publication. Andrew has been named a "Super Lawyer" by New Jersey Monthly magazine each year consistently since 2013.